We are like our mothers!

Few days back I had unknowingly hurt my right palm resulting in a lot of pain and discomfort. The moment the man of the house came to know of it he panicked, of course out of sheer concern and care. He immediately administred an instant first aid, that minimised the pain relatively. However the discomfort persisted.
The night was quite painful and hence sleep deprived resulting in a freaking zombie the next morning. The man of the house yet again came to the rescue and advised complete rest for the day looking at my zombied demeanor, compromising on the first tea of the day and the breakfast.
As another day passed in between, things seemed back to zero wherein I ended up doing all the usual household chores, my bruised palm taking a backseat in turn. Though the man of the house insisted me to keep a bandage on, I refused on the pretext that I need to get some essentials done.
While doing so, I was reminded as to how our mothers face the same fate each day at home; they fall ill, they get burnt while cooking, they bleed while chopping vegetables, but all they do is, move on, without us getting an inkling.

As a child each time someone said, "You would grow up to be like your mother", I remember snapping at them, "No, I would take a bag and go to work", as for me, a person who went to work was looked upon as someone important, whereas my mother, my grandmother who toiled day in and out seemed unimportant, making their efforts neglible!
However today when I introsepct, I understand and accept that I have become like my mother and all I can say is, I take immense pride in the same! Keeping the family and its needs ahead of mine is what I do each moment; saving the best piece of a meal for the man of the house or the child is something I enjoy. This and even more, is what we have seen our mothers do relentlessly and always with a smile.
For me tending to my wound was something I could have or should have done, but I refrained from the same and instead I wanted to give priority to my family, just the way our mothers do tirelessly.

Women for long have been advised to suppress their needs and desires in order to fulfill the dictums of the society. Defying set patterns and digressing from them is though the need of the hour and we proudly talk about it, we still uncannily have become like our mothers!

We have become like our mothers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RESULTS-The yearly catastrophe!

The "other" woman in my husband's life and I thank God for it!

The hullabaloo about the Indian "Nighties"...